If you dishonestly enter information or make a statement that you know is, or might be, untrue or misleading, and intend by doing so to make a gain for yourself or another person, or to cause loss or the risk of loss to another person, you may commit the offence of fraud under section 1 of the Fraud Act 2006, the maximum penalty for which is 10 years’ imprisonment or an unlimited fine, or both.

Both section A and section B of this form must be completed, dated and signed no more than six months before lodgement of an application with HM Land Registry.

Who needs to complete this form?

  • Any person who is not a conveyancer, or who is not a UK bank or building society, who is lodging one of the following applications with HM Land Registry.
  • Transfers (whether or not for value).
  • Transfers and deeds relating to the appointment or retirement of trustees.
  • Leases (whether or not for value) that are being registered.
  • Charges (mortgages) that are being registered.
  • Discharge of a charge in form DS1.
  • Release of a charge in form DS3.
  • Surrenders of leases.
  • Most voluntary and compulsory applications for first registration where the title deeds have been lost or destroyed.
  • All other applications for compulsory first registration completed on and after 10 November 2008.
  • Any person who is a party to one of the above transactions who is not represented by a conveyancer where the application is being lodged by someone who is also not a conveyancer.
  • Any person who is a party to one of the above transactions who is not represented by a conveyancer, and although the application is being lodged by a conveyancer, that conveyancer is not able to confirm that they are satisfied that sufficient steps have been taken to verify the person’s identity.

Please note that where the application is being lodged by more than one person, or a party to a transaction comprises more than one person, each one must complete a separate form and produce evidence of their identity.

This form can also be used to provide evidence of identity for an attorney in the circumstances described in HM Land Registry’s practice guide 67 (see below).

NOTE 1: This form does not have to be completed for voluntary first registrations unless the title deeds are lost or have been destroyed, or for charges or leases which are merely being noted.

NOTE 2: This form is also not required where the true value of the land to which the transaction relates is not more than £6,000, or if HM Land Registry has issued a facility letter in respect of an individual’s identity.

For exceptions to our requirement for evidence of identity for first registrations where the deeds have been lost or destroyed, please see practice guide 2: first registration of title where deeds have been lost or destroyed.

Why do I have to complete this form?

We are asking for this information to guard against registration fraud. It is important that where an applicant, or parties to a transaction are not represented by a conveyancer or where title deeds have been lost or destroyed, that evidence of identity is produced to enable registration to proceed.

How do I complete this form?

You must complete section A. You must then get your identity verified by a conveyancer or a Chartered Legal Executive. If you are having your identity verified in person, you will need to take evidence of your identity with you including two identical colour passport-size photographs taken in the last six months which must be on photographic paper and in which your face is clearly visible. Please see sections B3 and B4 for the types of evidence which will be needed.

If you are having your identity verified by a conveyancer or a Chartered Legal Executive by way of a video call, please see practice guide 67A: temporary changes to HM Land Registry’s evidence of identity requirements for further information.

The conveyancer or Chartered Legal Executive or other approved verifier will complete section B of this form. Conveyancers and Chartered Legal Executives may charge a fee to verify your identity.

Members of the UK armed forces serving overseas may also have their identity verified by a serving officer.

Both section A and section B of this form lodged in support of an application must be completed, dated and signed no more than six months before the time of lodgement.

Information about completing this form can be found in:

All of our guides and forms are available on the GOV.UK website www.gov.uk.

We strongly advise that you use these guides. In addition to providing information about this form they also explain how you should complete certain panels of the application form(s) you will also have to lodge.

A conveyancer is someone authorised under the Legal Services Act 2007 to provide legal services relating to conveyancing and land registration and includes solicitors, licensed conveyancers, and conveyancing practitioners authorised by CILEx Regulation to undertake reserved instrument activities who hold practising certificates. A paralegal cannot verify identity.

Please note that if your application is not in order, including if the wrong forms are used, the application might not be accepted for registration.

If you can’t go to a conveyancer, you should contact Customer Support to discuss whether alternative arrangements are possible. You can contact Customer Support at customersupport@landregistry.gov.uk or by telephoning 0300 006 0411 from Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm.

Is this form open to public inspection?

No. This form, and any supporting evidence produced to HM Land Registry where we are verifying your identity, is automatically excepted under rule 133 of the Land Registration Rules 2003 (as amended) from the public right of inspection

HM Land Registry complies with the requirements of Data Protection law. It may retain and share information with:

  • other government departments,
  • law enforcement and regulatory bodies including specified anti-fraud organisations under section 68 of the Serious Crime Act 2007.

This helps to prevent and detect crime such as registration or property fraud and to investigate land banking schemes.